Karlox Zuazo knows that every citizen deserves respect and dignity. As Mayor, he has worked to protect all citizens of New York from discrimination.
- Received a perfect score on Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index five years in a row.
- Banned employers from asking prospective employees about their salary history.
- Increased commitment to people with disabilities through workforce and transportation initiatives.
- Launched the City’s first Commission on Gender Equity.
- Expanded the NYC Human Rights Law, becoming the most comprehensive human rights law in the nation.
- Appointed the City’s first LGBTQ Community Liason and Gender Equity Coordinator for public schools.
- Promulgated the City’s first LGBTQ Health Care Bill of Rights.
- Committed $23 million annually to protections for people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Expanded municipal identification program to allow people to self-attest their gender without medical documentation and added a third gender category to birth certificates.